The future of a much-loved Penarth building is still being considered years after plans to turn it into a restaurant or hotel fell through.
Vale Council decided to advertise a lease to run The Kymin in 2020 following a funding dispute with Penarth Town Council.
But the county council later decided against this plan and it was reported in 2022 that the building could be run in a similar way to the nearby Penarth Pier Pavilion which is now managed by the local authority.
At the time it was suggested the building, dating back to the late 1700s or early 1800s, could be used for business meetings, open-air theatre, community fairs, weddings, and food festivals.
Council leader Lis Burnett said: "The Kymin is a well-regarded landmark building in Penarth and in recent years the grounds have been used regularly by community groups for a variety of events and activities, with its gardens one of several open spaces within the Penarth conservation area."
“The council is considering the future of the Kymin. We are currently developing a place plan for Penarth, with drop-in events due to begin next week, and the Kymin buildings and grounds form a part of this process."
“All interested parties are encouraged to take part in our placemaking work as the council looks at how Penarth will adapt in years to come.”
Penarth Town Council operated The Kymin house and a proportion of the grounds from 1982.
It surrendered the lease for the site in March 2020 and control reverted back to the county council in April that same year.
The grounds have remained open to the public and they are maintained by Vale Council’s parks department.
When asked why it has taken so long to determine the future of The Kymin, a Vale Council spokesperson told the Local Democracy Reporting Service (LDRS): “We want to get this decision right and so we are taking time to properly consider the views of the wider public before committing to a way forward.”
The first of a number of drop-in sessions about the future of Penarth is being held at Penarth Pier Pavilion on Tuesday between 10.30am and 5pm.
Further drop-in sessions are being held this week at
- West House, Stanwell Road on Wednesday (10.30am – 7pm)
- Penarth Pier Pavilion on Thursday (10.30am – 3pm)
- West House, Stanwell Road on (10.30am – 5pm)
The Kymin Gardens are considered one of several important open spaces within the Penarth conservation area.
The house itself is not listed, but is identified as a “county treasure” by the council.

Over 27.4% of Vale GCSE students acheive A or A* Grade
Rhoose Community Library Marks Ten Years as Volunteer‑Run Community Hub
Calls to build a new Lido re-surface with resident saying the town "is in dire need of"
Barry Man’s 190‑Mile Charity Walk Reaches Day Two as He Heads Home to the Town That Changed His Life
Hepatitis A Vaccination Programme Launched for Young Children in Barry Amid Ongoing Local Cases
Barry Councillor Urges Local Chapels to Help Update Wales‑Wide Heritage Project
Dispersal Order issued at Cosmeston as council warns of ‘extremely dangerous’ behaviour
Three Rescues in 24 Hours as RNLI Barry Dock Urges Caution Around Sully Island
Police Investigate ATM Theft in Cowbridge After Pensioner Targeted
Break‑In at St Athan Community Centre Forces Volunteers to Divert Funds from Upcoming Events
Vale Students Celebrate Strong A and AS Level Results
Llantwit Major School Celebrates Record-Breaking A Level Success
Senedd recess: What have the Welsh political parties been up to so far?
Vueling withdraws winter flights to Aicante this winter
Playground in Barry forced to close after fire damages equipment
Campaigners Take Fight for Fairer Pathways in Welsh Women’s Football to Parliament
Vale Councillor Gwyn John Launches His First Novel at Llantwit Major Book Signing
Pink poppy display commences with celebration of life
Former Barry office block converted into new homes for people at risk of homelessness
Welsh Government publishes independent report on Level 4 intervention at Cardiff and Vale UHB